Celebrity

Rapid COVID-19 tests are required to attend upcoming Dave Chappelle's shows

No exceptions!, not even fully vaccinated persons are exempt from David Chappelle's request for rapid COVID-19 tests, in order to enjoy upcoming shows to be delivered under the new normal

By Santiago Diaz

-
Dave Chappelle

Dave Chappelle (AP)

Connecticut is getting ready for a set of shows from the comedian, and Dave Chappelle is requiring the attending audience members to get rapid COVID-19 test to grant access before every show.

Chappelle who is 47 years old will perform at Foxwoods Grand Theater in Connecticut on June 25 and 26. The venue has mentioned that any person who tests positive, or is in the company by someone who turns out positive for COVID-19, will not be allowed to the show. The not-so-bad news though, is that they will get a full refund for their entrance ticket.

Read more: All the movies delayed by covid-19 so far and their new release date

Not even fully vaccinated guests are exempt from the rapid Covid-19 tests requirement, everyone attending the show, also need to wear a mask at all times and their seats will be socially distanced.

AP

Chappelle's usual restrictions are in order too; there will be no cameras, phones or recording devices allowed.

In January, the Emmy-winner revealed he tested positive for coronavirus, then hen canceled his remaining shows in Austin, Texas.

Since June, Chappelle has been performing on shows in Ohio, which social distance is the norm; then he moved his performances to Austin, during winter.

On top of all this, the performer won his long running beef with Comedy Central over rights to Chappelle's Show. The surprise announcement came during a ten minute performance titled “Redemption Song” posted on Dave Chappelle's Instagram account. The clip closes with news that the sketch comedy returned to Netflix. Chappelle's Show began airing on November 1st on the streaming site but they pulled it on November 24th after the comedian complained that Comedy Central's owner ViacomCBS licensed the show without the performer's approval. “I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did,” said Chappelle in a clip posted on his Instagram account on the morning of November 24th. “They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better.” Netflix has a lucrative contract with the performer worth tens of millions of dollars and has been airing standup specials from Chappelle since 2016.

Finally, months later and 15 years after Chappelle famously walked off the show that aired on Comedy Central, between 2003 and 2006, Comedy Central reached out to him to make things right according to Dave's telling.

“I never asked Comedy Central for anything. If you remember I said ‘I’m going to my real boss and I came to you’ because I know where my power lies,” Chappelle said to the Redemption Song audience. “I asked you to stop watching the show and thank God almighty for you, you did. You made that show worthless because without your eyes, it’s nothing. And when you stopped watching it they called me. And I got my name back. And I got my license back, and I got my show back, and they paid me millions of dollars. Thank you very much.” Chappelle then thanked Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos for his “courage,” and Chris McCarthy of ViacomCBS for “making the past right.”

Read more: Ozzy Osbourne gets his first dose of coronavirus vaccine

“Finally after all of these years I can finally say to Comedy Central, 'it's been a pleasure doing business with you,'” said Chappelle in closing.

Do you like Chappelle's comedy style?

Yes 0%
No 0%
Síguenos en

In this Story

Get all the news in your email

The latest on celebrity gossip, entertainment news and lifestyle.

You must complete your e-mail You must complete a correct email
You are already subscribed to our newsletter. You will soon receive news in your email.

Subscribing implies accepting our Terms and Conditions

Keep reading

More on Celebrity