Celebrity

Gwyneth Paltrow Is Being Sued After 'This Smells Like my Vagina' Candle Exploded

A man from Texas is suing Gwyneth Paltrow after one of her 'This Smells Like My Vagina' candles exploded causing a big fire. This is not the first time these candles cause an accident

By Ingrid Mateos

- May 21 , 2021 - 19:17 hs
Gwyneth Paltrow

Gwyneth Paltrow (AP)

It has been more than a year since Gwyneth Paltrow's 'Goop' beauty line blessed our lives (?) with her most exotic product, a scented candle named 'This smells like my Vagina' and well, everything was on fire! So to speak. A man from Texas is suing the American actress and her beauty line 'Goop' because, according to the lawsuit, the candle exploded.

Read More:  GWYNETH PALTROW REVEALS HER MOM IS NOT AMUSED WITH HER GOOP’S VAGINA-RELATED PRODUCTS

According to legal documents obtained by TMZ, a man named Colby Watson bought the 'This smells like my vagina' scented candle worth $75 in January and lit it for the first time in February. However, after burning it for about three hours, the candle reportedly exploded. According to the lawsuit, the candle had been sitting on a level surface with nothing nearby and no drafts in the room. No injuries were reported in the complaint, however, Watson claims that people at 'Goop' know that the candles are defective, Watson is seeking a jury trial and triple compensation as well as punitive damages of more than $5 million for him and others who "through no fault of their own, purchased defective and dangerous vagina-scented candles," according to the complaint.

A Goop spokesperson said in a statement to NBC News “We’re confident this claim is frivolous and an attempt to secure an outsized payout from a press-heavy product. We stand behind the brands we carry and the safety of the products we sell,”

Funnily enough, it is not the first time one of these special candles explodes. Back in January, a woman called Jody Thompson from the United Kingdom stated that he won a candle in a quiz and while having it in her living room it exploded into flames. "Flames roared half a meter out of the jar and bits of molten wax flew out as it fizzed and spat," she wrote. "Luckily, I had placed it on concrete, at the base of what was once a fireplace." she also said “I’ve never seen anything like it. The whole thing was ablaze and it was too hot to touch. There was an inferno in the room,” Thompson said and told The Sun that she and her partner David Snow threw the exploding candle out the window. (Sorry, we are laughing here) And in case you are wondering how this candle smells, according to the description “this candle is made with geranium, citrusy bergamot, and cedar absolutes juxtaposed with Damask rose and ambrette seed to put us in mind of fantasy, seduction, and a sophisticated warmth.”

 

Gwyneth Paltrow launched Goop in 2008 but registered it as a U.K. company in 2011 when she lived in England with her ex-husband Chris Martin, the lead singer of Coldplay. Its most recent public valuation was for $250 million in 2018, according to The New York Times. However, after these two incidents, it was revealed that Goop may shut down in the U.K.

Follow us

In this Story

Ingrid Mateos

Get all the news in your email

The latest on celebrity gossip, entertainment news and lifestyle.

You must complete your e-mail You must complete a correct email
You are already subscribed to our newsletter. You will soon receive news in your email.

Subscribing implies accepting our Terms and Conditions

More on Celebrity